Sunday 31 July 2011

Something Cheerful.

I have been a bit mopey of late, not due to anything particularly serious, more just a combination of a couple of small things - such as my paper for my first experiment being rejected by a second journal. However I don't particularly want a blog of complaints, so instead I choose to focus on a few of the things that made me smile this week:

[source]
  • Babies. My friend gave birth on Friday night and yesterday Husband and I had the privilege of going to meet this new little person in hospital. It still astounds me how one day someone just has a big stomach and the next time you see them they are holding a baby (obviously a lot of pain occurs in the mean time, but the result is pretty good!). You know what gets me every time? Seeing their tiny tiny fingernails. I don't know why but it just makes me marvel at how amazing the human body is.
  • Seeing knights at uni. During O-Week (orientation at the start of semester) there are a lot of stalls for people to join various clubs and societies. I was particularly amused by the Quidditch Club and the silent disco. Also seeing the knights getting ready for a fight (I'm assuming Medieval Society) was fun. It's days like these that I really enjoy being at my uni. 
  • Smells. Nice ones obviously. I came across this article about a group of people who are trying to recreate smells of the past. Interested in what type of perfume Egyptian Pharaoh Hatshepsut wore 3500 years ago? They're working on it. Awesome.
  • Fingerprint scanners that can stop Zombies getting in. Very clever!
  • Walking on the beach. There is a beach a bit over 20 minutes walk from my house. Yesterday was a lovely clear day and a good friend and I went for a long walk. It was great to catch up, and to see blue everywhere (my favourite colour). Thankfully my knees are also a lot better than they were so walking was fine (I'm ignoring the part where I got a giant blister hehe).
[source]
 
...why was I grumpy again?? :P

What makes you smile when you're grumpy? I'd be happy to think about more cheerful stuff!
P.S. Check out this website: 1000 awesome things. Always cheerful.

6 comments:

  1. A lovely pick-me-up post! Thank you for sharing, dear :-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. This weekend, it's sunshine and new books making me cheerful. :) I'm so jealous you live so near the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beach is great for a mental recalibration! That and the fingerprint scanner news would cheer anybody up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to live close enough to the beach to be able to do my morning walk, or run, on it! Unfortunately, an hour and a half isn't close enough :)

    Stopping by from FTLOB! Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for happy things! I am very much going to look at the Fingerprint Zombies article. I need to be enlightened today. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww this post made me smile too!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Thanks for commenting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...