Tuesday 21 June 2011

Fear of Flying - Part 1: Introduction

If you know me, or read this blog even semi-regularly, you'll know that I'm going to New York on Friday. The question I've inevitably been getting for the past couple of weeks has been: are you excited? 

[source]
I get to look at some famous landmarks, do tonnes of shopping, and meet some of my academic idols at the conference I'm going to - but honestly, the answer is NO. I'm not excited. In fact, I'm kind of dreading it. Once I'm over there I know it will be great, but it's the getting there (and back) that is the problem. It takes nearly an entire day on the plane to get from Sydney to NY (including a brief stop at LAX). Based on previous experiences I know I won't be sleeping much, or even reading or watching movies to distract myself. I'll be staring out the window and also carefully watching the flight attendant's faces for any signs of disaster (and constantly praying nothing bad happens)!

This might come as a bit of a surprise, considering I study psychology, and I know for a fact that this is an irrational fear. I have actually flown quite a few times - especially recently when Husband and I went to Europe for our honeymoon. Obviously, we were totally fine, and I actually did sleep a bit on the flight home through turbulence. However Husband was there the whole time so I could also check his face to see if he was worried, and he wasn't. This time, I'm totally by myself, and there is nobody to tell me I'm being irrational. Although I will tell myself that I'm sure (many times), I'm not very good at listening to myself!

So for my own preparation I'm writing a couple of posts (it was only going to be one but then I realised how much there is to cover) about why this is irrational and why I will almost definitely be fine. Hopefully if there are some people out there that have similar concerns I can help you a bit too. If you don't have problems flying, well either feel free to skip these posts, or keep reading so you can understand a bit more about the people who do, or just a bit more about fears and phobias in general.

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your flight. I hope you are able to distract yourself from negative thoughts through music, movies, books or anything you may find enjoyable.


    Bella Vida by Letty
    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't care for flying either. Just keep your eye on the prize...which is getting there...obviously. :-D

    I'm envious that you're so well traveled.

    Also... thank you for following my blog. You're my 100th follower! That makes me feel so warm and fuzzy on the insides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and you would do very bad to sit next to each other on the plane. We would just encourage each others bad thoughts. haha.

    I look forward to the next posts hoping that there will be something that will help me through my upcoming flights.

    I often think to myself: there are thousands of flights all over the world everyday and they all arrive safe and sound, there is no reason to believe that mine will not either. This tends to help for 1/8th of a second. But I will take anything! haha.

    OH! A tip: Sleeping Tablets (the ones behind the counter at chemists) work really well. It knocks you out without the bad side effects of having to possibly be carried out by the flight attendants after as you are dead asleep.

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Thanks for commenting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...