Wednesday 4 July 2012

Switch

If you saw my previous post, I was all 'woo productivity' and 'yay thesis' (how annoying!). Well, that definitely isn't the sentiment this week. Both Monday and yesterday were complete write-offs and today has not started the best either. I'm attempting to work from home however it's almost time for me to make my overly time-consuming elaborate lunch so I can procrastinate further.

I'm not entirely sure how or why this switch occurs from going really well, to kind of crappy. Maybe I just need a break. At least I've been assured that this reaction is fairly common in PhD land!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got this to prepare...

Just kidding, but it does actually look pretty good (from here). 

Does this sort of thing happen to you? What do you do to get back on track? I could definitely do with some tips! 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Think of all the brain energy such a feast would provide :)

    I've never done a PhD, so I can't comment on that specifically, but I've noticed that many things in life can be going well and then suddenly you lose steam. That has happened with my writing a fair few times. All I can say is, "Hang in there!" You'll get back on top of it again soon. It's best not to dwell on the days 'lost', but focus on the new days and keep at it. I am a dreadful procrastinator, and the only advice that has worked, which is also the most annoying, is "Just do it." I've surprised myself that once you get past that first couple of paragraphs or so, you feel like you are achieving something once more and it gives you a real boost. I know it's far easier said than done. Remember that the end is in sight, and you've already accomplished so much with your work, so keep going! Hope the momentum picks up for you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's important just to ride it out, for a few days, don't try to work. And then come back to it after you've rested a bit. I'm not working as much as I used to, all of June was a slow month. And this month as started off slow too but I'm getting things done little by little and I'm not going to panic about it. I'm just letting it be...that probably doesn't help at all does it? I just find the more you try to force yourself the harder the gets and the more your work suffers in terms of quality...I hope you find your rhythm again xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. That definitely happens to me all the time, but it was especially acute when I was studying for the bar exam. No real suggestions, other than I knew I couldn't give into it for very long without real consequences. That usually pushed me back into productive mode if I let myself do something "fun" first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you could use this procrastination break to make your excel progress spreadsheet even more elaborate and exciting!! Add some colors! Make some graphs! Then, how could you not want to work? I sure do love me some excel : )

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Thanks for commenting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...