Tuesday 13 March 2012

30 Days of Movies: Two in One!

Since I've been pretty slack on this front, and to try and preempt the still ever present possibility that I might abandon this project, I am lumping two together today. So there.

Day 3: Your Favourite Action/Adventure Movie.
I have many favourites in this genre, but I think the one that was super unique when it came out, as well as very compelling, as well as Keanu Reeves-y will be my pick: The Matrix. It is the only movie I've seen at the cinema more than once (...I think).

[via imdb]
To be honest, I'm a bit 'meh' about the two follow up movies, but the original was awesome. Interesting concept and super cool special effects. It also kind of freaked me out a bit, as my 15 year old self thought: how would I know if I'm in the Matrix - this could all be real!

Day 4: Your Favourite Horror Movie.
Creepy, but awesome [via imdb]
Horror is generally not the movie genre I choose to watch, but I still have a very clear favourite: Sleepy Hollow. Part of the reason I like this movie is probably due to the lengths I went to to actually watch it! My friend (Hi Anide!) and I went to the cinema to see Sleepy Hollow the day before I turned 15. When we showed up to buy tickets I wasn't allowed as I didn't have my ID to show my age (in Australia this movie's rating meant you had to be 15+ to see it). So we caught the bus to my house, and I realised nobody was home and I didn't have my keys. So what did I do? Remove the screen from a window and break in. With my ID we went back, to which after viewing it the ticket lady asked - "Don't you turn 15 tomorrow?"

After briefly trying to pretend we thought it actually was my birthday today (which did look pretty stupid - who doesn't know exactly when their birthday is?) we then just resorted to trying to sweet talk the lady into letting me see it a day early. She finally relented and the movie scared my pants off (don't worry - not literally). Christopher Walken does creepy extremely well - to the point that it doesn't matter if he's in a movie where he's nice, he still creeps me out. Now I'm not the biggest Johnny Depp lover (sorry!), but I do like his character in this movie. I did find it hard though to see Christina Ricci as the love interest however, since I was so used to seeing her in Casper and Now and Then. Even still, the reason it's my favourite horror movie is because although there is a lot of gore, there actually is an interesting story behind it, and it's quite clever. 

Question: what movies would you have picked for action/adventure and horror as your favourites?

30 days of movies challenge from here and here.

1 comment:

  1. I have a confession to make: I hated The Matrix. I'm sorry...

    In terms of action/adventure movies, I think it'd be a tie between The Mummy and Raiders of the Lost Ark. In terms of horror movies, it'd be a tie between Scream (because my best friend from high school and I once made a spoof version for year 11 English class) and Sleepy Hollow (because it's amazingly awesome)! I've never been able to look at Christopher Walken the same way since seeing that movie...

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Thanks for commenting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...