Monday 9 May 2011

Going to New York!

There is a conference at the end of June where I'm going to present some of my research, and it just so happens to be in New York (which I've never been to before). It also just so happens that the university is paying for me to go! Tough life. 

I am very much looking forward to it - however not so much the flying for hours alone. On our recent trip to Europe I was mostly ok, but it was comforting to look to Husband for reassurance when turbulence hit. When I'm by myself there's nobody to calm me but myself (and I'm rubbish at that). I know rationally how safe flying is, but when I'm in the air it's definitely a different story. Anyway enough of thinking about that, I'd much prefer to think about...

Shopping! The conference is on 5th avenue, and I'll also be staying at a hotel on 5th avenue. I think there's a couple of shops around there hey? :P

Now I just need to make sure I have data before then...!

[source]
P.S. Any suggestions on what to look at, where to go etc. would be welcome! :)

4 comments:

  1. Yay! You'll have so much fun!

    Suggestions:

    Rockefeller Center (6th Ave midtown), because:
    - NBC studios
    - climb to the top of the Rock and there's a GREAT view of the city (better than Empire State Building, because, well, you can see the Empire State Building)
    - Magnolia Bakery = best cupcakes ever
    - Radio City Music Hall

    Slightly (only slightly) less touristy, my favorite block is 60th and 3rd. Bloomingdales, Urban Outfitters, and Dylan's Candy Bar. http://www.dylanscandybar.com/

    Also, Central Park. Just go there and walk around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and get pizza. Anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo! How exciting :D But oh I feel you on the flying thing.
    I suggest alcohol if you are partial to it. It doesn't really help all that much, but if you have enough, you can't work out if it is turbulence or just...you... haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy yourself!!!

    I've been to the Big Apple quite often via school and trips to visit relatives and always find it a bit overwhelming. Then again, I'm a recluse who enjoys quiet suburban life and doing all of my shopping online. You should be fine, though. There's ALWAYS something to do and New York literally never sleeps, so have a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Thanks for commenting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...